Welcome to SQLSaturday
SQLSaturday is a training event for SQL Server professionals and those wanting to learn about SQL Server. Admittance to this event is free, all costs are covered by donations and sponsorships. Please register soon as seating is limited, and let friends and colleagues know about the event.
We will also be offering to precons on 09 September 2016 at the Microsoft offices in Cape Town by Benjamin Nevarez and Steve Simon at R1500 per person.
Benjamin will be presenting on SQL Server Query Tuning and Optimization to register please click here
This full-day seminar will show you how to optimize SQL Server queries and create high-performance applications. You will learn about the inner workings of the query processor so you can write better queries and provide the query processor with the quality information it needs to produce efficient execution plans. You’ll also get tips for troubleshooting underperforming queries. In-Memory OLTP (Hekaton), a key new feature of SQL Server 2014, will be covered as well. Topics include:
• Understand how the query optimizer works
• Troubleshoot queries using extended events, SQL trace, dynamic management views (DMVs), the data collector, and other tools
• Work with query operators for data access, joins, aggregations, parallelism, and updates
• Speed up queries and dramatically improve application performance by creating the right indexes
• Understand statistics and how to detect and fix cardinality estimation errors
• Maximize OLTP query performance using In-Memory OLTP (Hekaton) features, including memory-optimized tables and natively compiled stored procedures
• Monitor and promote plan caching and reuse to improve application performance
• Improve the performance of data warehouse queries using columnstore indexes
• Handle query processor limitations with hints and other methods
Benjamin Nevarez is a SQL Server MVP and independent consultant based in Los Angeles, California who specializes in SQL Server query tuning and optimization. He is the author of “SQL Server 2014 Query Tuning & Optimization” and “Inside the SQL Server Query Optimizer” and co-author of “SQL Server 2012 Internals”. With more than 20 years of experience in relational databases, Benjamin has also been a speaker at many SQL Server conferences, including the PASS Summit, SQL Server Connections and SQLBits. Benjamin’s blog can be found at http://www.benjaminnevarez.com and he can also be reached by e-mail at admin at benjaminnevarez dot com and on twitter at @BenjaminNevarez
Steve Simon will present a BI Precon on Business Intellilgence from Soup to Nuts to register please click here
Within our rapidly changing and evolving business world, Business Intelligence has become more and more important by enabling decision makers to take those critical discussions vital to the health of the enterprise (with a minimal amount of time and effort).
In this primarily HANDS ON workshop we shall be looking at the ways that the suite of SQL Server 2016 Business Intelligence tools may be utilized to help our decision makers achieve their business objectives and corporate mission statement.
We shall be covering the following topics
· Understanding and interpreting business requirements and how to avoid many of the pitfalls and “gotcha’s”. Ask yourself honestly .. how many project run over due to a poor understanding of the business requirements.
· Working with and utilizing SQL Server Integration Services to import data (into our warehouses) from the cloud, local or other azure data source. We shall also be looking at and utilizing oData.
· Working with and reporting from OLAP cubes.
· Working with and reporting from Data Mining Projects.
· Working efficiently and effectively with the Tabular Model.
· An introduction to DAX and DAX functions and how this super language can assist in turning data into valuable information.
· Lastly, but not least we shall be looking at reporting utilizing SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 and the NEW Mobile Report Publisher.
Steve Simon is a SQL Server MVP and a senior BI and BA Development Engineer with Atrion Networking in Providence RI USA. He has been involved with database design and analysis for over 31 years. Steve has presented papers at numerous SQL Saturday’s, PASS Rallies, eight PASS Summits and one at PASS Europe 2009 and 2010.
The event will be held at Bytes People Solutions Training Centre, 25 Jan Smuts Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, South Africa, 8000 due to space constraints, below is some more info on how to register
Excel Power BI Essentials Training Course
E-magination InfoSolutions, in collaboration with Osmosis Consulting, will be running a training course on Excel Power BI Essentials. Register here: https://www.quicket.co.za/events/21144-excel-power-bi-essentials#/
Many have seen or heard of Microsoft Power BI, but not many are equipped with the essential skills to become an empowered data citizen. The craft of converting data into insight has a shiny new tool box in the form of Excel Power BI add-ins viz. Power Query, Power Pivot, Power View and Power Maps for Excel 2013 (Power Query and Power Pivot for Excel 2010). All you need are the skills to utilize this Excel Power BI tool box to rapidly turn data into business advantage. If an essential part of your role involves deriving insight from data, whether you are a BI professional or financial manager, then this course is for you. This course is hosted by e-magination InfoSolution, licensed/official provider of Osmosis training courses.
In this training course we build an end-to-end solution using Power Query and Power Pivot. The areas we cover are:
· What is Power BI and how it empowers the data organization
· Use Power Query to discover and shape data for analytical purposes
· Use Power Pivot and Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) to create rich analytical data models
By the end of the day we will have a complete solution and worked through many of the essential technical skills, as well as explore techniques for building personal BI solutions. Workstations, samples and training guides will be provided.
About e-Magination InfoSolutions
e-magination is an information management and consulting company that specialises in helping businesses streamline their financial month-end reports. We offer the insight and know-how to aid financial managers in selecting the right tools to make this happen. We develop design and support instruments which integrate with a company’s existing data software and tools to ensure the information it gets is not only accurate, but also useful. With almost two decades of experience working in business and IT environments, e-magination’s consultants have enabled multiple clients to turn data into insight and design reports that deliver directly to their business need. We achieve success through working closely with our clients to understand their needs and deliver solutions that provide results, which is why we can pride ourselves on our 100% repeat business rate.