SQLSaturday 714

Philadelphia, United States

PASS SQLSaturday is a free training event for professionals who use the Microsoft data platform. These community events offer content across data management, cloud and hybrid architecture, analytics, business intelligence, AI, and more. This event will be held on Apr 21 2018 at Montgomery County Community College, 340 Dekalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA, 19422, United States

Register Now

Check out our exciting PreCons (on Friday)


Grant Fritchey: SQL Server Tools for Query Tuning

Grant Fritchey

Query tuning within SQL Server can be a tough skill to master. The new tooling released with SQL Server 2016 and 2017 changes how you identify poorly performing queries, troubleshoot their behavior and tune the queries, all a little easier.

This workshop teaches new techniques for tuning queries using all the new tools introduced in SQL Server 2016 and 2017. You'll be able to put this knowledge to work immediately, not only in your 2016 or better instances but also in your Azure SQL Database databases. You will be tuning your queries faster and more accurately using the new tools available.

Register Now


Eugene Meidinger: Power BI Implementation: A Guide to the Other 90%

Eugene Meidinger

When learning about Power BI, the part you learn first is all the powerful visuals. But like an iceberg, that's just the 10% everyone sees. If you are asking yourself "what's next?", this training will teach your the other 90%.

In the first half of the day, we will focus on data manipulation. Often times, the hardest part of making a report is shaping the data. We will cover applied database theory, data cleansing with PowerQuery and data modeling with DAX. We'll show you what each tool is good at and when to use it. We'll also cover some internals so you understand at a deeper level how these tools really work.

The second half of the day is all about deployment and administration. Do you have a data governance plan in place? We'll show how to access your on-premises data with data gateways. We'll cover options for securing and protecting your data, including row-level security and auditing. Finally, we'll go over the ways you can share and distribute these reports.

Register Now


Alex Grinberg: XML and JSON deep dive

Alex Grinberg

In the modern world of information technology, keeping data stored and manipulated reliably and efficiently is one of the top priorities. Within the last decade, SQL Server has evolved into a sophisticated Enterprise RDBMS tool, and it is still growing by providing more functionalities to store and manipulate data reliably.

eXtensible Markup Language (XML) is one of the technologies that SQL Server implements not only for data manipulation but also for internal usages, such as Execution Plans, Extended Events, DDL trigger event data, and behind-the-scenes construction for SQL Server Business Intelligence Tools (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS).

XML skills often appear in SQL Server DBA job requirements because the ability to work with XML allows the DBA to be faster and more efficient when solving different types of problems.

This session will also cover JSON for SQL Server, which was introduced in SQL Server 2016. JSON has many similarities to XML, however, they are not the same. Rather, JSON can be thought of as a “fat-free” version of XML.

In SQL Server 2017, Microsoft began implementing JSON in system objects, and in turn, DBAs and developers now have to take JSON more seriously.

Attend this training day and you'll be comfortable and confident when handling XML and JSON data, no matter if it is an application requirement thrown your way by the developers, or if it is part of dealing with instance internals and system objects when it comes to maintaining your SQL Servers.

Register Now

Event Location

Event news

Registration opens at 7:30am on Saturday Read More

For lunch, you can brown bag it, or pre-purchase lunch Read More

Session Schedule is available Read More


Profile Image

Contact The Organizer

Send Message

XML Icon

XML Feed

Access event's XML feed

View Feed

Connect With Us

What is a PASS SQLSaturday?

PASS SQLSaturdays are local events organized by PASS community members around the world. PASS is a not-for-profit association for data professionals who leverage the Microsoft Data Platform, offering interactive learning built by community and guided by trusted data experts.

Back to Top cage-aids