You’re a developer or DBA who wants to tune indexes and queries to make your application go faster. You don’t like learning by watching slides or reading white papers – you want to jump right into the code and see what happens. You’re the kind of person who loves watching YouTube videos that start with, “Hold my beer and watch this.”
In one demo-filled day, you’ll see SQL Server make questionable lifestyle choices. It will wildly underestimate the work required with a query, pick the wrong indexes, and jump off the roof into the pool while holding the TV – all in an effort to deliver the right query results. I will show you how to coach the database engine into better performance and fewer problems. Prerequisites: You should be comfortable writing queries, but not at all comfortable with making them go faster.
Attendees will get a free one-year Recorded Class Season Pass to see an online version of this class, plus many more of Brent's classes.
Data Science is currently the hottest topic among data analysts and technologists, but getting started can sometimes be daunting or confusing to many data professionals. We aim to change that with this full-day, hands-on course in which you will be introduced to data science and its basic methodologies using the Python programming language!
Together we will work through some real-world data analyses using several of the most popular Python libraries, such as NumPy, pandas, Matplotlib, and SciPy. Next we'll cover collecting and importing data, and introduce basic statistics around our data. From there we'll move on to create some simple visualizations of our data to help us identify trends and patterns, and then finish up by putting our newfound Python skills to the test by tackling a detailed real-world scenario.
• DBAs and Database Developers looking to branch out into the wider world of data science.
• Data Analysts who want an introduction to the features and methods available in the Python data science toolset.
• Anyone who is looking for a fun, hands-on way to get started in the data science field.
• Part 1 - Python In The Real World, With SQL Server (introductory presentation)
• Part 2 - Setup and Python Basics (hands-on lab)
• Part 3 - Arrays and mathematics with Numpy (hands-on lab)
• Part 4 - pandas data frames (hands-on lab)
• Part 5 - Visualizing data with Matplotlib (hands-on lab)
• Part 6 - Data Exploration (hands-on lab)
• Part 7 - Real-World analysis scenario (hands-on lab)
• Slides - 10%
• Demos - 10%
• Hands-on Labs - 80%
Note that as this is a hands-on pre-con, participants will be required to bring a laptop with a working Python installation. Full details on this will be provided prior to the session.
Wow, Power BI is making a tidal wave in the BI industry. New features are being released regularly, blog posts are flying across Twitter. How can you keep up? In this full day session, we will explain and demonstrate how to begin using Power BI effectively within your organization. This will include preparing your organization for Power BI, deciding if you need to build an SSAS Semantic Model or will the Power BI desktop work as an alternative. In addition, there will be a few hands-on labs that will help each attendee get started working with both the Power BI Desktop and the Power BI Service. Bring your laptop, grab a cup of coffee (or beverage of choice) and get ready to learn.
• Getting and shaping data
• Working with your data model
• A look at DAX
• Visuals and your report
• Tips and tricks you may not have known about
• Taking your report to the next level
• Power BI service features
• and more...
What is Intelligent Data Integration? SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) packages developed using tried and true design patterns, built to participate in a DevOps enterprise practicing DILM (Data Integration Lifecycle Management), produced using Biml (Business Intelligence Markup Language) and executed using an SSIS Framework.
Attend a day of training focused on intelligent data integration delivered by an experienced SSIS consultant who has also led an enterprise team of several ETL developers during multiple projects that spanned 2.5 years (and delivered).
Attendees will learn:
- a holistic approach to data integration design.
- a methodology for enterprise data integration that spans development through operational support.
- how automation changes everything. Including data integration with SSIS.
1. SSIS Design Patterns
2. Executing SSIS in the Enterprise
3. Custom SSIS Execution Frameworks
4. DevOps and SSIS
5. Biml, Biml Frameworks, and Tools
Prerequisites: Familiarity with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).