Design and development may be exciting, but database administration is absolutely critical (and, reasonably well-paying!) The care and feeding of a server tends to get short-changed or neglected. In this class, we'll cover the basics of the big five administrator tasks:
* Backups – You must set up regular backups, to keep copies of your databases...just in case something breaks, or someone makes a bad, bad mistake.
* Integrity checks – Regularly and automatically check databases for corruption, which is when bits get scrambled, lost, and ruined.
* Index maintenance – Databases need regular upkeep so they'll continue to run well.
* Disk management – It's actually your job to find out about full disks before they happen. After all, databases grow!
* Alerting – Alerts tell you what's wrong, so you don't have to go looking for problems.
Being a database administrator is a big job, but we can cover the basics in one session!