Welcome to SQLSaturday Cape Town 2019
SQLSaturday is a training event for SQL Server professionals and those wanting to learn about SQL Server. Admittance to this event is free, all costs are covered by donations and sponsorships. Please register soon as seating is limited, and let friends and colleagues know about the event.
Saturday, 14 September 2019
On Saturday, 14 September, we will host the main event. This free day of training will consist of 30 talks across a good mix of Topics presented at levels ranging from beginner to expert. The day will end off with a prize giving and if the budget allows, drinks and snacks after the event for attendees to socialise after a long day of learning.
Friday 13 September 2019
We will be hosting 4 Pre-cons this year (More to be announced). Pre-con sessions are full-day training workshops hosted by some of our expert speakers. Precon session will be announced shortly.
This year we have 4 exciting precons covering a good variety of topics to ensure that there is something for everyone.
Power BI: Zero to Dashboard with Angela Henry
Angela is a DBA/BI Developer, living in High Point, NC and loves what she does. She's worked with all versions of SQL Server & worn all the hats that come with dealing with SQL Server throughout the years: developer, administrator, data architect and BI developer. She has her MSCE: Business Intelligence and is a Data Platform MVP. She is also the chapter leader for the PASS Triad SQL User Group in Greensboro, NC. In her spare time you can probably find her in or at the pool, she's an avid US Masters Swimmer, Coach and Instructor.
In this single day workshop, we review the capabilities of the Power BI suite of tools and help you build your first dashboard.
About this Event
Your boss has heard all the buzz about Power BI and wants you to start using it to make the business users happy and reduce the demands on IT staff. In this single day workshop, we review the capabilities of the Power BI suite of tools and help you realize the following objectives by having you follow along with a real world example from start to finish:
- Understand the Power BI ecosystem and what it can and can't do for you.
- Understand the importance of Data Cleansing.
- Understand the importance of Data Modeling.
- Understand data visualization principles
- Create a meaningful dashboard based on the previous objectives.
We also encourage you to bring your own data in a CSV or Excel format, to the workshop. The last 30-60 minutes is dedicated to enabling you to build reports and dashboards with your own data with the support of your instructor.
- Bring your own laptop
- Download & install Power BI Desktop from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=521662
- IE 10 or greater.
- Signup for Power BI: Go to http://aka.ms/pbidiadtraining and sign up for Power BI. If you cannot sign up for Power BI, let the instructor know.
Data Quality Services and Master Data Services: good partners within the enterprise with Steve Simon
Steve Simon is a Database Solutions Architect with Business Knowledge Services Inc. He has been involved with database design and analysis for over 34 years. Steve has presented papers at numerous PASS Summits and PASS SQL Rallies. He is also regular presenter on the SQL Saturday circuit and he is a contributor on SQLShack.com
Ask any business person if their data is clean enough to make efficient and effective decisions and the answer is generally “No”. This is particularly important when it comes to governmental and financial regulations (such as GDPR) and this is where Master Data Services can really help us!
We are going to see that, if Master Data Services is properly implemented the answer can become a “Yes” and this will be the conclusion that we shall arrive at by the end of this full day session.
In this full day precon, we shall be covering the following
- A high overview of how ALL of the pieces fit together.
- Using extremely dirty data we shall see how Data Quality Services can be utilized to modified/cleanse dirty data AND THEN modify future incoming data based upon Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- We shall discuss the concepts of Models, Entities and Attributes.
- We shall create a “model” from scratch, defining rules and validations that must be implemented.
- We shall discuss the inclusion of 3rd Party data into our models.
- We shall also create additional models based upon model inheritance and see how easily all this may be achieved.
- We shall be incorporating SQL Server Integration Services into the blend and see how daily processing and updates may be automated (i.e. Data Quality Services and Business Analyst changes).
- We shall be looking at how the AI within Data Quality Services is able to classify data as either New, Correct, Corrected or Invalid and see how we may route the invalid data back to the business side to be corrected, and then (once corrected) incorporated into the next daily/hourly loads to production.
- We shall also create model backups in case issues go awry.
- We shall then see how easily these models may be “recovered”.
- We now move onto Master Data Services.
- We shall be creating a working Master Data Services model.
- We shall see the “method in the madness” of the integration our Master Data Services Model into the Data Quality services model.
- We shall be looking at and implementing Master Data Services security and see how this is as effective and efficient as utilizing the database engine. Why?
- We shall be creating Master Data Services entities and attributes.
- We shall be creating a Master Data Services GUI for the business side to correct and maintain corporate data. This includes ongoing new data.
- We shall be see how Data Quality Services and Master Data Services may be integrated to produce the COMPLETE SOLUTION.
- We shall be working with SQL Server Integration Services to automate the daily / hourly processing of data from both Master Data Services and Data Quality Services.
- We shall be discussing and looking at how we can ease post auditing and required maintenance issues.
- Lastly we shall be looking at the GOTCHA’s.
SQL Server 2019 Big Data Cluster: with Neils Berglund ,MVP and Andrew Collier.
The new release of SQL Server; SQL Server 2019 includes Apache Spark and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) for scalable compute and storage. This new architecture that combines together the SQL Server database engine, Spark, and HDFS into a unified data platform is called a “big data cluster.”
In this one day workshop you will learn the architecture of the Big Data Cluster (BDC), and the various components of a BDC. You will see how to create external tables against other data sources than SQL Server, and how to use Spark to run big queries over your data in HDFS or do data preparation. We also look at how to use Notebooks to run code for Spark as well as SQL.
To get the most out of the workshop, please bring a laptop with Azure Data Studio installed together with the "SQL Server 2019 (preview)" extension for Azure Data Studio.
Azure SQL Managed Instance and Hyperscale - All Day Long !
: with the SQL Product Team
This year we are excited to have 3 members of the SQL product group join us.
- Buck Woody
- Anna Thomas
- Alain Dormehl
This will be a full day training session, presented by the Microsoft Product Group focused on Azure SQL Database Managed Instances and Hyperscale.
This will be an immersive deep dive with hands on content that focuses on:
- What is Azure SQL Database
- Deployment Options
- Service Tiers
- Managed Instance
- Who is it for?
- Surface Area
- Platform as a Service
- Migrating to Managed Instance
- SQL Core
- SQL BI Stack